Bumps and Blasphemy!

Related Reads

Starting to sort the recovery rig…

After my recent requirement to help dig/pull a couple of lads who had managed to get themselves stuck in the Coromandel - I thought it was well over time to start sorting out the recovery gear for the truck.

A trip to the top of the Coromandel

To me, the true Coromandel is only reached once you have passed through, well, Coromandel - actually - even higher - with Colville (northernmost town of any note on the peninsula) representing a homecoming of sorts.

The ARB 4×4 Track Pack

I liked the idea of externally storing the smelly stuff. In addition, the ARB design gives you a few extra pockets for storing stuff that you often need when working on or around the outside of the truck. In my case, the obligatory Morley's on one side, some rubbish bags and window wiper fluid on the other, and a couple of levelling blocks in the side.

Throttle Linkage, and blasphemy!

Another part that I had been meaning to fix (and really needed to) was the throttle linkage. After my last session tuning the carbs; I realised the throttle linkage had a split on the ball joint holding it on one end. Some gaffa tape had temporarily fixed it, but I knew I needed to do something a little more permanent.

I figured, since I was pulling that back out, and would likely need to rebalance the carbs again, I might as well replace something else that was bugging me – the half rusted air filer case taking up half the rear of the engine bay. I had replaced the air filters – but the whole thing was starting to fall apart, and was rather, well, inelegant. Yes, I know, there is a reason it was originally made like that – but I plan on getting some dust/water covers for them when I go off road.

Because the original air box also provided some support for the intake pipes, I have temporarily hose clamped them on (just to keep the filters up from sitting on the engine – but have a slightly nicer plan to make up a couple of brackets to hold them up.

Don’t ask me if its going to help or hurt fuel consumption. It’s an old V8. It sucks like… well – an old V8.

, Bumps and Blasphemy!

Reducing the bumps – shocks and dampers

I have already replaced the Springs, replacing the standard ones with parabolic ones – which really meant I should replace the shocks with ones designed for the lift the springs had given the truck. Realistically, the units in the rear were never the right ones for there – managing to hold about half a litre of water permanently in them. Most of which I wore when we finally got them off – because  you guessed it, the bolts were seized on there. The steering damper needed to be replaced – it was essentially sitting there doing nothing – so I either needed to cut it off completely or replaced – and given the nature of the truck – I viewed a steering dampener as a good thing.

So, another round of fixes – up next – the saga of the brake lines!

Go on, Share...

Support The Bloke

This content doesn't make itself!

Apparently, doing honest reviews and putting together safety and education content isn't the way you become rich on the internet! So. Your support is the main, direct way to keep me doing this. Become one of the blokes to support the site and related projects. Good on ya mate!

Hide picture