One of the most common questions I get asked is, ‘how do I renew my firearms license’ – unsurprisingly, it’s right up there with – ‘how do I get my firearms license‘.
Well, I already have an article on that, but there is a little confusion about the process out there at the moment, especially with the changes in the application process and the incorporation of a new practical element.
Renew or Reapply?
(3) A person who is the holder of a firearms licence may, before the expiration of that firearms licence, apply for a new firearms licence. ((Section 23(3): added, on 1 November 1992, by section 8 of the Arms Amendment Act 1992 (1992 No 95).))
So, technically, there is no such thing as a renewal. You are reapplying for a licence.
As such, much of the process is the same.
- Download and fill in the form – available here
- Pay the application fee at a local postshop ($126.50)
- Get two mugshots of yourself
- Deliver all this to the police (I would suggest your local arms-office) – make sure you take:
- Your application
- Proof of payment
- Two recent passport-style photos
- Three documents to prove your identity
- Your existing firearms licence
- Once this is lodged, the AO will contact you to organise an interview and security check
- An AO will come out, interview you and your references (just like the first time) and check your security is still in place
- While the AO is there, when reapplying, you will get asked a series of questions that you can find on the back page of the application form
The theory test and the new practical training
The biggest question I get asked – is, ‘when I ‘renew’ my licence – do I need to go through the practical training?’
No – there is currently no requirement to do so, nor do you have to sit the theory test.
When reapplying for the license – you instead have to answer the questions on the back of the application with an AO.
So. The process is very similar to a new application; however, instead of the theory and practical test, you answer the questions for the AO during the interview.
This is the process if you have a current firearms licence and want to ‘renew’ or reapply for a new one while the existing one is still valid ((get in early folks!)) – if you let the licence expire or, you have the licence taken away from you – you may be required to go through the full process.